Men are always rushing around at the last minute to find their significant other a gift for Valentine’s Day. The issue is that sometimes what men think will please their sweetheart may end up insulting her. This can be a vacuum cleaner, a weight watchers scale, a toaster, pots and pans, oven mitts or a blender…and I get it. While men look for gifts, they look for gifts that would be of good use as they are creatures of logic and reason. But women? We are creatures of emotion and sentiment so taking time and effort in choosing a gift makes us feel loved and appreciated.
It is what it is.
What if I told you that I can tell you how to get a gift that she will not only love, but it will also work to your advantage?
Well, I have compiled a list of wonderful gift ideas that will do just that:
• First off, chocolates and candy are okay but not the best gift idea. With Valentine’s Day being right after the holidays, many women are either beginning or in the midst of a diet and/or fitness plan. Getting them chocolate would be a subtle way of telling them that you really do not pay attention to their daily life or most importantly, their life’s changes. Instead, send her a vase of flowers to her office. For reasons I have yet to understand as a woman myself, we love public displays of love and acknowledgement. Receiving flowers makes us forget all of those single days of sadness when other women received flowers and our desk was empty. But to TOP that off, not just any flowers. Get her a vase full of roses of every color as each color has a meaning and slip a note with each meaning. (You can print the meanings below and slip it in the card)
Red – Red roses are the traditional symbol for love and romance, and a time-honored way to say “I love you.” The red rose symbolizes sacrificial and unconditional AGAPE love. The love that Jesus Christ exemplified, which is the same display of love that He calls husbands to love their wives. Here is a little poem that I wrote to help you out. “Red is for the blood that Christ shed, the thorns are for the crowns that they laid upon His Head. And every year in the spring, they are resurrected from the dead.”
Pink – As a symbol of grace and elegance, the pink rose is often given as an expression of admiration. Pink roses can also convey appreciation as well as joyfulness. This color tells your spouse that she is graceful and elegant.
Yellow – The bright, sunny color of yellow roses evokes a feeling of warmth and happiness. The warm feelings associated with the yellow rose are often akin to those shared with a true friend. As such, the yellow rose is an ideal symbol for joy and friendship. If your sweetheart is your best friend, this is a great rose.
White – White roses represent innocence and purity and are traditionally associated with marriages and new beginnings. The white rose is also a symbol of honor and reverence.
Orange – With their blazing energy, orange roses are the embodiment of desire and enthusiasm. Orange roses often symbolize passion and excitement and are an expression of fervent romance.
Lavender/purple – The unique beauty of the lavender rose has captured many hearts and imaginations. With their fantastical appearance, lavender roses are a perfect symbol of enchantment and royalty. The lavender rose is also traditionally used to express feelings of love at first sight.
• If you are a husband and family man with children, the best gift would be to take the day off, clean the entire house from top to bottom, wash, dry, fold and put away all of the laundry and then cook dinner. Women are multitaskers. They take care of home all while many times holding a job, volunteering at church and joining the PTA. Walking into a clean house after a long day, with empty hampers and dinner cooked will turn your exhausted wife into an energetic wife. You will not be able to keep her hands off of you for quite some time. Just think of it as an empty gas tank that was going on fumes that you just refueled to a full tank!
• If your love-muffin is a Christian woman, visit the local Christian book store and purchase a Women’s Life Application Study Bible. But don’t stop there. Have a scripture about love engraved in it with her name and then also take a highlighter and highlight beautiful scriptures about love, romance and marriage. These scriptures will be found in the books of Psalms, Ephesians and 1 Corinthians. Finally, compliment her new bible with a carrying case. They have lovely carrying cases that have handles, a notebook to take notes during a sermon and places to put their church programs.
• One of the best gifts is a Latin Dance Class Certificate good for six weeks. It isn’t just for her either, but a couples dance class. Now before you skip this section, you may want to take note. As a woman that took latin dancing for quite some time, the very first thing that you learn as a woman is submission. Yes, I said submission. You learn quickly that the dance can only be as good as your willingness to trust your partner to lead you. It will definitely spill over into her personal life. If you have a strong willed woman who has an issue with trust and submission, this will be a cure. Secondly, latin dancing will transform your Plain Jane into a Sultry Mamacita. She will get a lot of exercise, build up her confidence and by the time she completes the second class, she will be pulling out her red dress and stilettos. She will feel more sexy and as a result, it will be to your benefit.
• If you are a man that had a mother that was the Betty Crocker of her time, then you probably desire a woman who knows how to cook. The issue may be that your lady can’t boil an egg and you don’t want to insult her by getting her a recipe book. There are many classes for “Cooking with your Girlfriends” where women can get together to learn to cook, decorate cakes and make appetizers for their guests. Buying her a gift certificate for six weeks for her and two of her best friends will whip her in shape with cooking skills, all while you catch Monday night football in peace and quiet. By the time the fourth quarter ends, your lady walks in with anticipation for you to try her new recipe. What a better way to spend a Monday. When most people will be grumbling about Mondays, you’ll be saying T.G.I.M. (Thank God It’s Monday)
• Women love surprises and spontaneity. Since we are multi-taskers, we often neglect ourselves or mark our own wellness off the calendar for our career, church, husband or children. Schedule your lady a day at the spa with a facial, massage, pedicure and manicure and be ready to drive her. If she replies, “I can’t, I have to be…” Respond with, “I already took care of it.” Of course this would mean that you would have called, cancelled and made arrangements with her days activities at the office, children’s activities or school.
Now, if you are one of the many unfortunate families that are suffering in the recession, there are many ways that you can still spice up your marriage on a dime. There is no greater feeling than to walk into a romantic candlelit dinner and smooth jazz in the background. It tends to make a woman melt at the thought that you took so much time and effort to make her feel loved and appreciated. This of course, should cost no more than $25.00. Grab a local newspaper, check out the deals at the supermarket, download some jazz tracks, pull out candles and wine glasses and throw on and a nice shirt and slacks. Set up a romantic setting, eat dinner, dance with your wife and give her a great massage.
Choosing gifts that nourish her growth and development yet make her feel appreciated and cherished is the best way to go. But whatever the case, most women prefer thoughtful effort over expensive convenience.
Copyright © 2011 by Katrina Smith
Like it? Love it? Share it!
Join the Movement!